Saturday, December 18, 2004

I Heard The Voice of My Creator

I heard the voice of my Creator through the instructions of my parents. I heard it in the stories my old grandfather told while fishing on a river bank. I heard it in the songs my old grandmother sang and I heard it in the prayers she prayed.
It spoke about wisdom and honor.

I heard it clearly at an altar call in a little church long ago.
It spoke about faith.

I heard His voice when I first saw blood on the street as a cop and I heard it again when I was the cause of it.
It spoke about anger, fear and forgiveness.

I have heard His voice through my wonderful wife.
It spoke about what love really means.

I have heard it from those who would ask, "Brother, can you spare a dime?"
It spoke about sacrifice and giving.

It was there to guide me while raising my children.
It spoke about blessings, responsibility and example.

I heard His voice when I stared down at my father in a coffin, and many years later at my mother and little grandson.
It spoke about lions laying down with lambs and a place where tears never fall.

I have heard his voice in the silence of my own thoughts and prayers.
It spoke about how He was always close by.

I have heard his voice as it whispered through the trees, flowed in a river, and spoke from a whippoorwill in the night.
It spoke about what is good and right.
It spoke about how He he can be found throughout His creation -- if I wasn't too blind to see.

I have heard his voice in the words of my friends and enemies.
It has spoken to me of tolerance, respect and brotherhood.
It has also advised me that He sometimes works in mysterious ways.

I heard God's voice in spirit. Most of the time, His message was so clear words were not needed. Yet, sometimes I needed the words. I sometimes needed them to explain His truths to myself and to share his truths with others. So, I kept my Bible close by. Within its pages, I often found understanding in my head for the messages he put in my heart.

No comments: