Saturday, December 18, 2004

Salvation

I accept that Christ is the doorway through which we must all walk somehow, someday, somewhere.

I accept that there is no other name under heaven by which we must all be saved.

I accept that Christ is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, and to Him the knee of every person will bow, regardless of what they believed while alive on earth.

What I do NOT believe is that everyone who fails to "accept Christ as their Savior while alive on earth" will "burn in Hell" -- and I was born and raised as a blue-blood Southern Baptist.

If this was true, most humans who ever lived would burn in Hell -- not for their sins, but for their ignorance. This is not the message of the Gospel. This is not the picture of Christ we have in the Bible. This is not an example of the love God requires from all of us. This is a teaching of questionable origin and supported with a misunderstanding of the reason Christ said to "Go ye into all the world...".

Jesus cried from the cross, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do"! I believe this prayer echoes throughout the universe -- from sea to sea and from age to age. I do not believe that it is God's will for anyone to perish out of ignorance, nor do I believe that is what the Gospel (good news) is all about.

Most of humanity has never had the chance to know about Christ. Even for those who have heard of Christ, no two have ever had an equal chance. I don't believe God will condemn them for their own unique level of ignorance -- because they did not "accept Christ as their Savior".

Consider this scenario.

A little girl is born into a dysfunctional family where the only time she hears the word "God" is when it precedes the word "damn". At fifteen, she goes to a church with a friend and they give her a Bible and tell her to read about Jesus. She walks home with the Bible, hoping her father won't take it away from her and throw it away.

A handsome young teacher from school sees her walking, pulls over and offers her a ride. The girl gladly jumps in -- she's had a little bit of a crush on him all year. The creep doesn't take her home. Instead, he takes her to a remote spot, rapes and kills her. She did not have the chance to learn about Christ. She never "accepted Him as her Savior".

The teacher is arrested and sentenced to die for his crime. While in prison, a minister witnesses to him about Christ and the guy repents and "accepts Christ as his Savior."

Now, the strict teaching of "only during this life do you have a chance to accept Christ as your Savior" puts the repentant rapist in Heaven (which I have no problem with) and the young girl he raped and killed in Hell (which I have a big problem with).

This requirement to "get saved while alive or be damned for eternity" presents us with a horrible no-chance paradox that would make any Devil proud.

As a life-time Baptist, I know the teachings and scriptures that are used to support this. Yet, there are many scriptures that do NOT support this. Human reason does not support this, and God instructs us to use our reason. More importantly, the spirit of Christ's teachings and God's Holy Spirit within me does not support this teaching. Something is haywire about it. It is not a Gospel of love.

I don't presume to know how, but Christ's words and simple logic both say the same thing. God will somehow, somewhere, sometime level the playing field and all humanity will have equal knowledge of Christ. At that time, the advantage "preacher's kids" had will be taken away.

So, what about God's judgment? Will there be one? Yes, I believe there will be. I believe at that time, God will separate the "sheep from the goats".

What will it be based upon? I reckon I will have to get a little "mystical" here. Blame it on my Native American blood. I believe judgment will be based upon our spirits. I believe it is our spirits that will ultimately accuse or excuse us. If our spirits fight against what we believe is wrong, I believe they are of God and will excuse us even when our actual deeds and beliefs were ignorant. If our spirits do not fight against what we believe is wrong, I believe they are not of God and will accuse us, even if our actual deeds and beliefs were "Christian" all the way.

I believe this is what Christ was talking about when He told the Samaritan woman, "But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth" (John 4:21-24).

I believe Christ made this possible. I believe it is the true meaning of the Gospel -- God's good tidings about Christ that will bring great joy to all men with good spirits, not just the theologically competent.

I will not and cannot presume to limit God's mercy according to my (or anyone else's) interpretation of Scripture. The great I Am will do as He pleases, and I choose to believe it pleases Him to be an equal-opportunity Creator.

No comments: