Monday, December 27, 2004

The Rich and Famous

Help from any source is a good thing and for the sake of the needy, I am glad the Queen of England and Bill Gates trickle down some of their wealth to charity. Liz and Bill are only human and no better or worse than most of us. If I had wealth, I'd probably trickle some of it down to charity also -- especially if it got me quoted by my adoring fans and helped come tax time.

However, it has always bothered me when people are put on a pedestal and honored for their material (and in the Queen's case, inherited) successes. It irks me when such people are quoted, as if their fame somehow grants them wisdom.Truth is, people who have never had to worry about where their next meal was coming from have little wisdom to impart about hunger. People who have only given out of their abundance have little wisdom to share about giving.

Christ made it clear that the measure of a gift is not the amount given, but the sacrifice involved. He also made it clear that He is no "respecter of persons". He evidently did not make it clear enough, though, because the majority of people still idolize others based, not upon their sacrifice, but upon their success.

The English have their Queen. Americans have their own royalty -- movie stars and the super-wealthy. I guess there is something in most people that make them need Queens and movie stars to idolize. I figure that makes me a little weird, because the more a particular person is idolized, the less I tend to trust them.

Christ also made another thing clear. People who do their good deeds for the praise of others already have their reward.

No comments: