Saturday, December 18, 2004

Tribalism

The problem with words like "conservative" and "liberal" is similar to problems encountered with trying to paint a moving truck or to keep track of the flight of a firefly on a June night. I have learned to dislike (no, I'll be honest) -- I have learned to despise the use of words like "conservative" and "liberal".

I guess I could throw in words like Baptist, Catholic, Democrat, Republican, ad nauseum. Such "tribal" identities require definition (platform, creed, articles of faith, etc.). Thereafter, if you wish to belong to that tribe, you are expected to accept and adhere to the tribe's definitions -- and many people will surrender their brains at the door and do just that. Even worse, people from other tribes will assume you DO adhere to your tribe's definitions and attack you accordingly.

Tribal instinct in action.

I just do not believe it is spiritually healthy to surrender my brain and be a faithful (tribe, party, denomination, etc.) member. Tribal definition make demands upon my intellectual and spiritual integrity that I do not always agree with. Besides, I know the origin of "tribalism" and it has nothing to do with God's spirit. It is due to our animal instincts.

I also try not to think of anyone else as a tribe member (conservative, liberal, etc.), even if they make that claim because, odds are, they are not as personally sure of and committed to their tribe's definitions as they claim to be.

This is why I can really enjoy having fellowship on my porch with almost anyone. I'm kinda like my old hound dog, Jake. If you throw me a peanut (give me a smile) and not kick me (try to do me harm), I am your friend. And that is what I really think Christ meant when He said, "Where two or more are gathered together in my name, I'll be there."

Notice that he did not say in the name of "conservative" or "liberal" or "Baptist" or "Catholic" or "Morman". He said, "... in MY name...".

No comments: