Saturday, December 18, 2004

We Love Our's

It is instinctive to mistrust the "not our's". The "not our's" violates our comfort zone. We fear that if we allow alien people, cultures, religions, ideas, etc. into our lives and the lives of our tribe it will harm us, so we repel them.

And, it is true. Allowing alien intrusion will usually result in change -- sometimes good, sometimes not. By their very nature, religious beliefs build a high wall to ensure no change is possible -- for which I would be very much in favor of, if I knew a belief was the "truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."

Problem is, I don't know of any belief, creed or denomination that I feel has everything figured out that well. So, I don't want a wall built around my beliefs so high that I cannot see over it. And, since I believe what interests God more than our knowledge is our heart, I am not afraid of considering other ideas in my quest to understand my Creator.

No comments: