Saturday, September 23, 2006

Would I Use Torture?

I prefer everyone to like me, but if the following prevents that ... then let it be. I prefer to be honest about myself.

-- Once upon a time, I studied to be a zoologist. I think like a zoologist. I tend to see humans as clever animals.
-- I'm an Okie who drives a pickup and owns guns.
-- I lean towards situationalistic Christianity.
-- I am moderate in most things, including politics and religion.
-- I'm an ex-cop.
-- I tend to be intolerant of people who are willfully selfish, cruel, and ignorant.
-- I'm a father/grandfather who loves his (and all) children.
-- I believe in doing unto others as I would have them do unto me.

Feel free to use any or all of the above facts to explain the following:

If I was sure beyond a resonable doubt that someone knew (and refused to tell) how to save the life of a child (mine or anyone else's) -- and I had that person alone -- the odds are pretty good that I would find out what he/she knew. Just as when I was a cop, it would be minimum but adequate. I would do unto that person what I would have them do unto me.

The majority of "Christians" probably believe this is wrong, and that I would be disobeying Christ. I disagree, but I'll be honest. If I believed it would be disobeying Christ, I would do it anyway and find me a new religion.

The life of a child is far too precious to play dogma games with or to forfeit on "interpretation" and "opinions". If I err, I chose to err on the side of the child. This has nothing to do with what I believe about a government's use of torture. Apples and oranges.

For those who believe Jesus would never harm anyone --- Christ said, “My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight ...”

Christ is not the pacifist many require him to be. There is a time when Christ would have his servants fight. I believe one of those times would be to save the life of a child (by tying a "millstone" around the perps neck and throwing him in a river if necessary).

If you believe Christ is God, then you'll have to agree that he harmed humans in the past -- and it appears that he is planning to harm humans again. This does not define a pacifist. If you require a pacifist king, I think you'll have to look elsewhere. My opinion.

Granddad

No comments: