Monday, April 14, 2014

Hyperbole

One of my pet peeves is when hyperbole (exaggeration) is used to influence others. Technically, exaggeration is lying, but that's not my main beef. Hyperbole like, "I'd die for those shoes!" or "I'll never look at another woman!" are relatively harmless lies. However that's not the case for hyperbole used by public figures such as politicians and preachers to win votes and souls. We see it all to often today in emails and public media for a simple reason. Lies will be immediately believed by some, and by many if told often enough.

Hyperbolic lies are also commonly used in family feuds where phrases like, "You've always", and "You've never" run rampant. They only serve to unfairly inflame both the speaker and the listener. If facts are not sufficient to stand on their own without exaggeration, perhaps it's time to reconsider their value. Hyperbole exists when emotion and/or dishonesty is in charge. Unembellished facts are found where logic and/or honesty is in charge.

But, I promise to not get mad if you tell me, "That's the best guitar picking I've ever heard!" (Although I might think you need to get out more.)

No comments: