Thursday, May 18, 2006

Martyrs

Ignatius of Antioch was reported to have said, "For though I am alive as I write to you, still my real desire is to die." Traditional history says he got his wish.

We honor martyrs. So do certain Palestinians and Iraquis. We consider it the untimate sacrifice -- but is it really? Which is more of a sacrifice, to sacrificially die for one's faith -- or to sacrificially live for one's faith?

Could it be that some would rather die than live the lifetime of self-sacrifice for others that is required by Christ? If one's belief in a paradise after death is strong enough, why not? Why stick around and feed the hungry, clothe the naked, etc.? Man, that's work!!

I know I'm just a mortal and have no right trying to represent my Creator. With that said, I'll offer this -- I can't help but believe that our Creator would prefer having one Mother Teresa living a life of sacrificial love over having a thousand martyrs dying a sacrificial death.

No comments: